A group of young people discuss roles within the family when a member has a mental illness.
This film is part of a series of group discussions on parental mental illness. If you want to watch more from this collection, you can find them on the Resources section of our website.
If you are using this film as part of a lesson or workshop, you might find the information below useful to support discussion.
- This longer film explores roles when a family member has a mental illness and could be useful to use with a young carers’ group, or with a group of professionals, to increase insight.
- What does this film raise for your group?
- Young carers adopt a more parental role and assume more responsibility in the home than their peers.
- They can feel responsible for financial difficulties, disorganisation and mess around the home.
- Young people are not responsible for their parents’ mental illness and must not blame themselves.
Duration of film
8 minutes, 24 seconds