Application deadline: 29th May 2022
Time Commitment: Commit to attending monthly after-school sessions lasting approximately four hours each. (Approx 4-8pm, once a month except in August).
Location: Sessions will take place in Tower Hamlets at John Smith Children’s Centre, 90 Stepney Way, Whitechapel, London E1 2EN
Reporting to: Tower Hamlets KidsTime Workshop Lead
Purpose of role
We are looking for volunteers to support the delivery of monthly multifamily workshops for children and families where a parent has a mental illness. Workshops will be attended by up to 15 families. Volunteers will support the project team to deliver the workshops and will be involved in welcoming families, setting up and facilitating group activities, and general administrative duties such as ordering food and setting up filming equipment.
Volunteers will gain experience in facilitating groups for families. Depending on the interest and experience of the volunteer, the role can include supporting the Drama Facilitator in running drama and creative activities with the children or supporting the Mental Health Workshop Lead in running the parent group.
Food and refreshments are provided.
Any reasonable travel expenses – to be agreed with the Workshop Lead and Coordinator.
- To attend 11 KidsTime Workshops over a minimum of a 12 month period.
- To support the KidsTime Workshop team to prepare for and deliver sessions. Tasks will vary but will include setting up the room and filming equipment, welcoming families, participating in group discussion and creative activities, and ordering food.
- To complete online Safeguarding Children Level 2 training organised by Our Time and report any safeguarding concerns that arise during workshops immediately to the Safeguarding Lead.
- To complete an enhanced DBS form which can be organised by Our Time.
- To read and abide by all Our Time policies and procedures.
Training and support
Volunteering as a KidsTime Workshop Volunteer is a great way to develop new skills and learn a variety of techniques for engaging with and supporting children and families. Volunteers will receive training and will be given guidance and support during sessions.
- Please submit a CV and a cover letter telling us in up to 500 words why you would like to volunteer with KidsTime Tower Hamlets. Please include information about your skills and experience, what you hope to gain from volunteering and your motivation for applying.
Email CV and cover letter to: Oliver Kianchehr: Oliver.Kianchehr@towerhamlets.gov.uk
You may be invited to have an informal conversation about the role with the Workshop Lead and/or Coordinator.
- Volunteers will be asked to provide two references
- All volunteers must be aged 18 or over